Links and Resources
The International Paralympic Committee (IPC) is the global governing body of the Paralympic Movement. Its purpose is to organise the summer and winter Paralympic Games and act as the International Federation for ten sports, supervising and coordinating World Championships and other competitions. For more information on the Paralympic Movement please browse the International Paralympic Committee website.
Classification is where para-athletes are placed in categories for competition based on their impairment, these are called sport classes. To learn about classification in para sport please follow this link.
Since 2012 the Agitos Foundation has become the leading global organisation for developing Para sport as a tool for changing lives and contributing to an inclusive society for all. To learn more visit their website.
Sport and Disability
- To read about the benefits of sport for people with disability take a look at this UN Publication.
- Find out more about the importance of sport for children with disability here.
- Learn about the positive effects of adapting sports to ensure inclusive participation here.
“People with disabilities include those who have long-term physical, mental, intellectual, or sensory impairments which in interaction with various barriers may hinder their full and effective participation in society on an equal basis with others.”
– Taken from the Vanuatu National Disability Inclusive Development Policy (2016 – 2025)
Read through the following publications for more information:
- Vanuatu National Disability Inclusive Development Policy (2016-2025)
- Disabilities: World Health Organisation
- Human rights of persons with disabilities: UN
- UN Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities
Disability Support Vanuatu
The following organisations provide support services for people with disability in Vanuatu. Follow the links below to find out more about how they may be able to support you.